Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A sticky situation - ATG and more

Here is my review of adhesives I've used and the results I seen with them.  I do not work for the 3M company or any adhesive company.  Though, I should, at least, get stocks in them since we go through so much.  :-)  My 7 year loves tape and feels he can attach anything and everything with them.

Over the years, I have used different types of adhesive and my favorite, for a while, has been the Scotch double-sided tape. I have been using Scotch double-sided tape for a long time and it works great but not very fast since I have to rip each piece individually.  I do like that it is a strong tape and it gives you a little time to adjust if you lay something down crooked and need to adjust.  Once you press it down, it is a strong bond.  You would ripe the paper if you try to pull it apart.  I like that I have a lot of control over the size of adhesive too, since I can cut the tape with a scissor and also I can place it right along the edge of a piece of paper.  It works great!  I buy it in bulk at Sam's Club so it is not the most expensive option out there.  I know there is some waste since it comes with a dispenser .  It worked for me since, for a long time, I've been too busy with my boys to do much crafting.  I had other fun things to do, like play with my babies!  :-)

Anyway, I did get a Scotch tape pen and that worked well in terms of how it dispenses.  It glides on very smoothly and easily.  It was not very sticky, though. Your project will come apart easily without any paper tearing apart.  So chances are great that your creation will fall apart when the person gets it in the mail.  :-(







I also recently got a Scotch tape runner and it was horrible.  It did not dispense the tape well at all.  Maybe I got a bad one but it was a waste of money, and a waste of time trying to "coax" the tape out.  Also, it does not create a strong bond to paper.  I sometimes use it if I need some temporary adhesive.  That was disappointing since I love Scotch and trust their products.  Oh well,  on to the next tape.





After that disappointment, I decided to try something cheap and was pleasantly surprised.  I bought an Ad Tech glue runner at Hobby Lobby, mainly because of the price.  I know nothing about this brand and I don't know anyone who uses it either.  I was happy to see how easily it dispenses and that it came with a cover for travel was a bonus.  The bond between paper was better than the two Scotch brand tape pen and runner.  Now at least I have another travel tape dispenser option.  I have to admit that I was a little embarrassed with my little double-sided tape and how slow it was to adhere everything.  Meanwhile everyone around me was zipping along with their tape runners. I also tend to be precise which means my tape has be right on the corner.  I know.  I probably drove them crazy!  Or should I say crazier. :-)

I have been eyeing the Scotch Advanced Tape Glider (ATG 085- 1/4" tape) for a  long time and researched it to see if it is a worthwhile investment.  It looks too bulky to me at first and not very travel friendly but I like that it comes with a lot of tape and there is not much waste.  Yes, I'm one of those who think of the environment and yes, I recycle and cringe when I see people throwing out recyclables.  Anyway, my husband surprised me at Christmas with one.  I was so excited and happy.  I know...over tape.  It's a simple life I lead.  It doesn't take much to make me happy.  :-)  Okay, back to the ATG, it has a strong permanent bond to paper so it's not very forgiving when you set it down onto another piece of paper.  I had a hard time lifting it up completely without creasing my work or ripping it once my paper with the adhesive touches the other paper.  I love the strong bond but I have to be careful with my placement of paper.  I like that you can also run some tape onto a piece of mat and then roll up the adhesive to make your own glue dot.  It takes a little extra time but I enjoy scrapping it up and rolling it, for some reason (told you, it doesn't take much to make me happy).  I have not bought any glue dots yet because I could make use of my ATG.  I love being able to use a product in more than one way.  I roll up the tape dispensed with my bone folder and try not to touch it too much or it will make it less sticky.  You can then place your glue "worm" or ball onto an embellishment, like my butterflies flowers in my hugs and kisses card.  You can also get pretty close to the edge once you get the hang of using it.  It doesn't take much to learn how to use it and the tape glides on really, really well.  It's amazing!  Putting the tape into the dispenser was a breeze.  There are tons of videos out there that guides you through the process and here is an old youtube video with the company rep on site to help.  So now, I have a new favorite tape.  I still use my double-sided tape but not as often as my ATG now.  Hope this helps those who are researching for a new tape dispenser.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to hear from you!