Saturday, January 19, 2013

Another Sympathy Card

Sympathy cards are on my mind, especially since some distant family members are very sick lately, and one of them recently passed away.  One thing about getting old that sucks is that people die.  I know I sounds like a child and it is a fact of life but it still sucks big time.  I feel like this, "just when you start to really appreciate people and what their lives are like, people around you die or get seriously sick".  It wasn't until my thirties that I really faced death and loss.  It was horrible and a rude awakening to appreciate the people around you.  I try to remember that, especially when I have been wronged by friends or family.  And of course, to be thankful for good health and the blessings in my life.  I am thankful, for sure.  Anyway, back to the task at hand, this card and how it was made.      
I was trying a soft color for the sentiment and it turned out too soft.  You can barely make out the sentiment. I'm still in search of a great pink.  This sentiment, from Hero Arts Everyday clear stamp set ,was stamped with VersaMagic Angel pink ink pad.  I originally stamped the sentiment on the card but it did not stamp out completely so I covered it with a layered sentiment.  A nice little trick to fix your mistakes.  The soft background was stamped with a Heidi Grace stamp set in Memories Soft Wheat ink.  I used a Sizzix die to cut out the layered flowers.  To get the right shade of wheat color paper, I ran my soft wheat ink pad onto a white card stock and let it dry.  I like the softness of the Memories for Hero Arts Shadow Stamps ink pad but I don't like the wait to see what it actually looks like.  It looks really ugly at first since everything is all blotchy and then it softens.   I'm not too patient and also, I want to see if the coloring works without the wait.  I guess it is a love-hate relationship I have with this "shadow" inks.  I know that Hero Arts Hues are what they are called now and I'm not sure if I would get the other shades.  Maybe they improved since I got these, I know people like them.  My ink pads are first generations since I see them labelled as Memories for Hero Arts Shadow Stamps.  Anyway, the paper I inked up is the paper I used with the flower die.  I like this die I got from Michaels, it was 60% off in the clearance section so you can't beat that.  I love a great deal!  It works well with the button.  I don't have many buttons or any other colors.  It's sad but I think I have 2 small packages of buttons.  I'm getting into using them on my cards.  I like them a lot so far.  Anyway, I turned the button upside down to use the white side of the button.  These buttons were G Studio's that I got at Walmarts' Valentine 80% clearance.  I know I'm a cheapskate!  LOL!  I try to buy most of my crafts supplies on sale or with a coupon and even with that mentality, it still all adds up.  I firmly believe that crafting should be an affordable fun activity.  With that said, my husband would say otherwise, especially the affordable part.  :-)  I like the layout and design of this card and would make another one soon with different sentiments.   


Papers:
Neenah Classic Crest Smooth Solar White
Recollection Pink Buttons paper collection

Stamps:
Hero Arts Everyday sentiment clear Stamp set

Inks:
Marvy Matchables ink pad - grey #12 

Other supplies:
Sizzix Bigz Die - Flower Layers #7
DMC floss - ecru
G Studio printed buttons

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to hear from you!