Thursday, April 18, 2013

Magical "Night Circus" Birthday Card

I just finished reading the book, "Night Circus", and the imagery in it is fascinating.  It sounds wonderful and magical all at once.  I kept on thinking, "when are they going to make a movie out of this"; it's one of those books that you want to see.  I wonder how they will do it and will they stay true to the book.  Of course, a lot of times I am disappointed since it is different from the book.  I also found myself wishing there was an actual night circus.  It is a place that takes everything into account;  all your senses and beyond are engaged.  Sounds wonderful, right?!  Not just the circus but the midnight dinners sounds like the place to be at too.  Who wouldn't want food that sends you into total silent awe?!  It's been awhile since I read a book that made me want to escape there.  Refreshing for a change.  For the card, I wanted to capture the elements of the night circus.  There is a tent where there is a labyrinth and inside, the floor looks like a chess board.  Also in the tent, the entrance disappears when you enter and you find yourself completely immersed into the atmosphere of the tent.  I was itching to put a border on this card but felt it will not be true to the idea of what I think of the night circus.  Anyway, I added the crystal ball since there is also tent where you get your fortune told with tarot cards.  But it may leave you with more questions than answers.  I did the opposite by predicting a magical birthday instead.  Wouldn't it be nice (or boring) to have your future all laid out there to be read?!
I created a cardbase by creating a black 5.5 square card.  I punched out white 3/4" squares and tape them on the card base to create a chess board.  I stamped and embossed the crystal ball stamp from Rubber Stamps of America with Brilliance graphite black ink and clear embossing powder.  I stamped out just the ball part of the crystal ball on clear acetate and cut it out.  I cut out the ball on the white crystal ball and attached the clear ball to the base of the crystal ball.  I punched out the letters and stars on silver glitter paper and glued them onto the crystal ball.  I wrote part of the sentiment on the white square and use foam adhesive to place the crystal ball onto the card. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to hear from you!