Sunday, January 26, 2014

FANtastic Maculine Pop-up Birthday card

I love making cards with flowers and tend to gravitate toward feminine cards.  So I thought I make a masculine birthday card instead, since I have a list of birthday cards that I need to make for this year.  I find myself collecting quotes or some puny statements to match either a stamp or pattern paper I have.  So of course, I had to get this 6x6 pad from Echo Park when I saw fans in it.  I had to get it, simply for my son who loves fans.  I had to give him one sheet of it, as soon as I showed it to him.  I knew he would love it.  I thought this pad had pattern paper that were perfect for a masculine card.  I'm trying to use up most of my stash before I add more, another New Year's goal of not hoarding paper or supplies.  So far, it has been fun challenging myself to do just that. :-)

I'm using the sketch from Freshly Made Sketches for this card.  These challenges are fun and they expand my repertoire of card designs.  Love that!
All the pattern paper is from Echo Park and I have to admit that seeing all the new paper from CHA 2014 is making me so ready for more paper pads.  I know.  Must remember my New Year's goals...for now.  ;-)  I layered the card base with pattern paper first.  Then I cut the label and the word, "fantastic" on my Silhouette Cameo.  I used Lucinda Handwriting font for the sentiment and I love the way it came out.  I often draw an A2 size (4.25x5.5) box to help with sizing an element for a card.  I cut the sentiment twice since I wanted it to pop out a little.  Love this effect...it's fantastic!  LOL!  I used Hero Arts Many Birthday Messages stamp set to complete the rest of the sentiment.  I love this stamp set; it's my "go to" birthday stamp set.  Since it is a clear stamp set, I cut it up to change the sentiment to suit my card, like here.  I cut two strips of pattern paper and cut ribbon tails on both of them.  I adhere just the top of the flags and curl up the bottom.  I like the stitching in my last card with flags so I thought I do it here too, except I hand stitched it here.  It went a lot quicker than I thought, especially since I used Stampin' Up paper piercing essential pack guide to pierce the holes.  I stamped the birthday sentiment  in black Brilliance ink and used a black glaze pen on the word, "birthday" to make it even darker.
I used foam adhesive to pop up the label.  Since I am really into pop-up cards, I had to add my birthday cake inside.  Inside Silhouette Studio, I drew a rectangle, 10.5x3.75 and took the inside of my birthday pop-card that I got from Silhouette Online Store and center it on this rectangle.  
I ungroup everything and took just the portion that creates the pop-up cuts and deleted the rest of the cuts I did not need.  It was quick and easy.  I cut out the cake in pattern paper and adhere everything on and stamped another sentiment on top of the cake.  The stamp was part of Studio Calico Blue Note kit and I love this set too.  I can't wait to play with it some more.  Until next time...  :-)   

I used a blue and yellow glaze pen on the candles to finish the card. 

You might also like:

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous card Linda :-) i love the fan-tastic play on words :-) I am sure your son will love this, the pop up cake inside is FAB too :-)

    thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute and fun card! I love that sentiment with the fan dsp. Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! That pop up detail is so fun. Glad you joined us this week at FMS!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to hear from you!