Sunday, January 5, 2014

Hoo's Making T-Shirts?!

I think I found a new love, besides my Cameo, making t-shirts.  If only I had my Silhouette Cameo when the boys were younger.  I would be going to town making them t-shirts; from trucks galore to dinosaurs and planets.  Man, oh man, did I missed out on the possibilities.  Well, there is still some time yet.  I try to have something hand made for the boys in my life for Christmas.  This year, I was really pushing it to the last minute, since I couldn't decide on what to make.  Also, with clothes, I have to get the okay from my boys or they will not wear it.  I know, I know.  They're boys; they should wear whatever I throw at them.  Not the case in this household unfortunately.  I don't even want to think about the teenage years, it just makes me cringe!  LOL!  :-)  I got them to pick out different images from the Silhouette Online Store of owls and they chose this cutie along with some other owls.  During Silhouette America's great sale after Thanksgiving, I bought some flocked vinyl, knowing I will be making some shirts.  It is so easy to place a design on t-shirts with iron-on vinyl.  The only thing that was time consuming was the ironing.  As you can see, the iron and I have a long distance relationship, in other words, we get together once in a blue moon.  :-)  But other than that, it was so easy.  I love using vinyl for t-shirts, especially in a short holiday season.
I always cut out the image on cardstock to make sure the size of the image is just right.  It also help with deciding on placement.  This video is great for learning about how to use flocked vinyl.  Using the setting of flocked vinyl in Silhouette Studio, I cut the image on flocked vinyl with shiny side down.  I weed out the part of the design that I did not want.  I had my iron on cotton setting with no steam and iron the image onto my shirt.  I would check if the design is ironed on by peeling the paper back a little.  If it lifted off the shirt, I would place the paper back and press it down with the iron.  My boys love them Christmas morning, especially the fact that they were so soft.  I also gave them a blank shirt with a note saying that it is for them to design.  I created two different shirts, one for each of the boys but in different colors. 


This card is entered in Simon Says...Something New.

Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog

You might also like:

2 comments:

  1. Adorable t-shirt, Linda! I should really try my hand at making t-shirts with my Cameo, too. Thanks so much for playing along with the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge: Something New!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You totally should. It's so much fun and easy too. I'll warn you though, it's addictive. :-)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. I love to hear from you!