Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Pop-Up Box Valentine's Day Card

I'm slowly and happily breaking into my new stash, and of course, another Lawn Fawn stamp set happens to be in it.  I love these dogs from Lawn Fawn's Critters at the Dog Park set.  My husband and I are very fond of dogs, but we do not have one together yet.  It is mainly because we were not ready as a family, and for the longest time, my boys were constantly encountering dogs that bite and/or bark like mad.  So obviously, they are very tentative toward dogs but luckily, they are starting to meet more nice dogs than scary ones lately.  They even recently gave us the okay to look for a dog.  We haven't found one yet.  Frankly, I love my neice's dog, Henry, and would love to get a dog that size and with the same temperment.  My husband loves labradors retreivers ,and only had those breeds as pets.  I like them too and know that they are very good with kids, very playful and loving, but take one look at Henry and who could resist a dog like him.  So the search continues.  In the meantime, we will just enjoy other people's dogs.  Anyway, back to the card,  I had to try out this pop-up box card that is literally popping up in the crafting world.  I decided to use these instructions from Split Coast Stampers to make mine.  And of course, with Valentine's Day not too far away, I decided to go with that theme.  Amazingly, or rather, outrageously, I do not have any real Valentine's pattern paper.  I got these pattern paper from the dollar bin, I think, at Target last year, for the kids to use and play with.  I'll admit that I can be a paper snob.  What can I say, I like thick quality cardstock, if I can help it.  I have to say that it looks good here, not bad for a dollar.  Don't worry, I still like my thick, name branded cardstock too much to give that up.
Pop-up Box Valentine's Day Card With Lawn Fawn's Critters At The Dog Park
This is a large card, measuring 6.5" x 5.5", and this did not account for my heart sentiment sticking out there.  First, I followed the instructions to make the base of the pop-up box card using red cardstock, and then I used the measurements to cut out my pattern paper.  I stamped the dogs and fire hydrant from Lawn Fawn in black Memento ink, and then colored and cut out them out.  Then I glued them on the slots in the box.  
I punched out two hearts in red and pink, and stamped the sentiment on them.  Then I used glue dots to attach them to thin strips of clear plastic sheets from sticker sheets before attaching them to the slots with glue dots too.  For the big white scallop heart and "Happy Valentine's Day" heart, I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut them out.  I got these free shapes from TeamKNK that Bird made.  I just absolutely love scallop hearts and with the red lettering, it is perfect!  Anyway, I placed the heart on the back of the box with foam adhesive to finish the card.  This card is just too cute!
The box does fold flat to put in an envelope, but it has a tendency to pop up which is why you see my stamp block holding it down.
I had to show you what it looks like with the top flap down.  These puppies look so adorable together with the heart over them.  Also, it looks like the fire hydrant is saying,"i ruff you 2", which gave me the giggles.  :-)  
This card is entered in Simon Says...Something New.

Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog

You might also like:

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how fun is this?!! Love it!! So pretty!

    Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    hugs...
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I couldn't wait to create it when I first saw the template. It's so much fun!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. I love to hear from you!