Tuesday, May 26, 2015

My First Pocket Letter

Hello everyone!  The first time I saw a pocket letter, I knew I had to make one.  This is the first one that I have ever made and it is for my son so I picked out his favorite colors and images.  I also created a shaker in this pocket letter with foam and die.  It makes making shakers a lot easier and a lot faster too.  I don't think I will ever go back to using foam tape after this.  I had such a fun time making this that I am already thinking about the next one.  I showed it to Honey and he told me that it is like 9 cards all in one!  :-)  If you don't know what pocket letters are, Janette Lane created them and her video explains them.  To make pocket letters, you need baseball card pages.  I got mine at Target where they have baseball and other trading cards but you can find them anywhere that sells baseball or trading cards, even Amazon and Walmart.  Each pocket holds a card sized at 2.5" x 3.5".  Since the original intent of pocket letters were geared toward crafty pen pals, each pocket can hold some type of embellishments like paperclips, washi tape, die cuts, gems and etc. behind your card panel.  One of the pockets is kept for your letter to the recipient.  Since I am sending this to my son as a cute little letter, and he can't use those embellishments where he is going, I didn't include them.  I know he will love it all the same.  The possibilities are endless here since I am already thinking that these are perfect for gifts since the pockets can hold little surprises, including gift cards.  Fun, right?!  Also, it is easy to mail since it folds up to fit inside a legal size envelope.  Be warned, you might find them addictive and created more than one or two or three... :-D     
First, I selected the pattern paper I wanted for the 9 pockets and then cut them to 2.5" x 3.5" to fit in the pockets of the baseball card page.  This was a good way to use up my stash of of pattern paper.  Also, I often play with my Copic markers and color images just for fun or while I am waiting for the boys so I accumulated a bunch of colored images that I can throw into each pocket here and there.  Love it!
For the top row, I stamped and color the owl from Lawn Fawn Critters In The Forest.  I attached him to the pattern paper from Lawn Fawn Hello Sunshine 6x6 pad and added googly eyes.  The dog was from the Art Impression set and since I colored him to look our dog, I thought it would be perfect for my son.  The superhero boy and dog were from Simon Says Stamp SuperDuo and Mama Elephant Tiny Heroes sets and the sentiment was perfect for this letter.
 For the second row, I kept it simple with Mama Elephant Three Amigos and a message in one just for my boy.  I also placed washi tape on the outside pockets since it had his favorite colors.
For the last row, I used My Favorite Things Woof You and You Have My Heart sets and created the card with the puppies.  For the center card, I created a shaker card with vellum and used sticker letters on top of the pocket it goes in.  In the last card, I used Lawn Fawn Critters At The Dog Park set to create a scene.  Love this cute dog!
 
I'm so excited to send this to my son during his overnight trip.  I loved the way it came out and I wish I was there to see his reaction to this.  Now I am ready to make another one!
Thanks for stopping by.  Happy crafting!

You might also like:

8 comments:

  1. This is SO darn creative!! I love how you used something non-scrappy like the baseball card pages and made all these adorable little cards for each pocket. And the fact you made it in your son's favorites, even more adorable! Thank you for playing along with Lawnscaping Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roxanne, for your kind comment! This was such a fun project that made great use of my stash. Thanks for stopping by too!

      Delete
  2. FANTASTIC! I love pocket letters and have never made one. I bought the pockets and everything, LOL! Yours is colorful and fun and just made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, you are too sweet! Thank you! I can't wait to see your pocket letter. :-)

      Delete
  3. Aw, what a great project! So many cute pups! I love that they're all black too, since my dog is black. I have a rescue Flat-Coated Retriever. Anyway, thanks so much for playing with us at Lawnscaping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christiana! My dog is rescued too and all the dogs are colored exactly like him. I couldn't it but I have to incorporate him into my cards. He is just too darn cute like these pups! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. These are all super cute!!!! Thanks so much for sharing them with us at Lawnscaping! Hugs, Karin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karin! I was so happy that I could include some of these cuties all together. So much fun! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. I love to hear from you!